ADJUST THE SLIDER TO CHANGE THE FONT SIZE OF THE POSTS

Monday, July 4, 2011

THE HEALTHIER LIFESTYLE – Buzz Café

One of my biggest frustrations at the moment is finding reasonably priced, healthy ‘fast food’. We all know how busy life can get, in my case I’m always running from campus, to work and then rushing to my evening commitments. Let’s face it, between all that it is difficult to find the time to make up a healthy meal. So, in my series of posts ‘The Healthier Lifestyle’, I intend to introduce you to places around Cape Town that provide you with a healthier alternative to fast food, anytime.

Buzz Café













OPENING TIMES: Monday to Saturday 07:30 to 22:30; Sunday and Public Holidays 08:00 to 22:30
FOR BOOKINGS: email: kloof@buzzcafe.co.za or phone: 021 426 2797
FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT: www.buzzcafe.co.za

I was first introduced to the Buzz cafés about three years ago by a friend who was raving about their superb wraps and smoothies. At that time you could order a wrap and a smoothie, and get a free portion of potato wedges dusted with paprika (alas they have done away with the wedges and the special, but c’est la vie).

Now this past Friday I was walking around town with a friend of mine and we stopped at Buzz café for an early lunch. I decided to try something new, I usually go for the ‘Flamer’ or the ‘Thai Me Up’ wraps, but this time I had the chicken ‘Supercrunch’ wrap. In all honesty I hadn’t had avocado and peppadew for a while and my mouth watered at the idea of a juicy wrap with the trio of chicken, avocado and peppadew. To drink I ordered one of my favourites, the Cookie Monster smoothie with oreo, chocolate hazelnut spread, banana and frozen yoghurt.

As usual, the atmosphere at Buzz café, Kloof street was relaxed and welcoming, and the setup quite accommodating. You could either settle down in the main restaurant area under retro lighting (see image above), outside on the veranda with a view of Kloof street, or at the central communal table. If you decide to opt for the sitting down and have some work to do on your laptop, they have WiFi facilities to easily connect to the internet. In addition to everything else they also have a range of Wines, Beers and Cocktails on offer if you’re looking for a place to grab evening drinks with a couple of friends. They also offer a take aways facility.      

The food and drinks were served speedily. I took a bite of the ’Supercrunch’ wrap; it was definitely crunchy and bursting with flavor. The chicken was well basted and the sauce used in the wrap balanced the overall taste wonderfully. Moving onto the smoothie, a noticeable difference with their smoothies is that they are thick and creamy, but not too sweet and the flavor is full bodied and well balanced. My top three smoothies are Cookie Monster, Milo Monkey, and Purple Haze. They are served in 350 ml (kids), 500 ml (regular) or 600 ml (large).

The ‘Supercrunch’ chicken wrap cost R 45 (I usually buy the Flamer – R 40) and the Cookie Monster (500 ml) was R 25. Comparing apples with apples, that’s a Kauai Princess wrap at R 35.95, plus a smoothie at R 22.90, totaling R 58.85. So, in all honesty you do pay a slight premium on the food, but the taste and quality speak for themselves.


So if you're in town and are looking for good food, fast make a turn at Buzz café you will surely be surprised at what they have to offer. Eat Out user rating on Buzz café 4 out of 5 stars see below:





No comments:

Post a Comment